JonnyP

Week 107 - Hand Tattoos!

This weeks project, is to design a hand tattoo for a client, you have been given free reign on this to do what ever the fuck you want, work in any style you want and pick a theme that interests you!

Draw around your hand and use it as a template or draw a hand it does not matter and if you feel like you have time for both hands go for it!

If you need some inspiration check out these pictures from Dimitri's hand book

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/products/tattoo-handbook-vol2-dimitri.htm

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/products/tattoo-hand-book-by-dimitri.htm

If you want to do some research on the artists that took part in Dimitri's project I'm sure you can find endless inspiration...

I was gonna do a back piece project but I know most people are busy, as its only a small tattoo there's no excuses not to take part! :D

You have about 2 weeks to finish this one deadline Friday 7th of Jan !!!

Rules

1:- Original Art ONLY

2:- Each member may submit only ONE entry per week

2:- Pencil, Pen, Ink, Crayon, Paints, watercolor etc...

3:- NO Digital or Photoshop (unless your cropping or making it a smaller size)

4:- Week ends on Saturday at midnight eastern time (my time)

5:- Art must be "Tattooable."

6:- Nothing you drew a month ago is allowed, must be Original/New stuff from every contestant

7:- If you feel the need to Prove your work, please provide evidence of this. (entirely up to you)

8:- NO High Jacking of the weekly thread what so ever!!

Most important RULE is HAVE FUN

Edited by JonnyP

Now, those are great pics of inspiration, but they are digitally painted. I'll stop bitching.

I don't think any of them are digital mate, http://www.myspace.com/darktimestattoo/photos/55803841#{%22ImageId%22%3A55803841} this is victor Portugal's its in oil, in the book there in pencil, oil, acrylic, air brush and water color they will probably get cleaned up in photo shop before printing but there just ridiculously talented

Edited by JonnyP

I know, I like to bitch about the NO DIGITAL rule. I like to use if for the color part, but just color. Some think it's cheating, I just think it's quick and easy - hence none of my entries are in color. Just too fucking busy to really sit down with paints. Maybe I'll dust off my colored pencils.

I know, I like to bitch about the NO DIGITAL rule. I like to use if for the color part, but just color. Some think it's cheating, I just think it's quick and easy - hence none of my entries are in color. Just too fucking busy to really sit down with paints. Maybe I'll dust off my colored pencils.

Haha I don't really like digital stuff either but it not cheating just faster as you say, But I don't think Id want to buy a digital painting not the same as a canvas. I'm the same mate 90% of my stuff is black and gray I'm definitely going to start using color as my new years resolution.

Ooh good contest idea

amy are you allowed in yet?

Lol probably but I think I will stay out for now anyway hehe :)

Cuz she needs to work on tattooing more. :)

Maybe this forum should start a pig skin contest as well as flash... it would be pretty cool if enough people took part

Maybe this forum should start a pig skin contest as well as flash... it would be pretty cool if enough people took part

I second this notion

I just painted this sheet of flash the day before the contest was posted. I was going to gift the original to a friend that cuts hair and has similar hand tattoos. Then do a whole set of similar things and make prints for my boss. Since he is opening a hair salon in Feb right next to the tattoo shop. Looks like I need to do another sheet with tattooed hands now so I can be in the contest.

post-28891-0-96310900-1293210651_thumb.jpg

I just painted this sheet of flash the day before the contest was posted. I was going to gift the original to a friend that cuts hair and has similar hand tattoos. Then do a whole set of similar things and make prints for my boss. Since he is opening a hair salon in Feb right next to the tattoo shop. Looks like I need to do another sheet with tattooed hands now so I can be in the contest.

post-28891-0-96310900-1293210651_thumb.jpg

Really good flash sheet mate! I like this allot, I didn't write the rules so I don't know who did? I don't have a problem with you submitting this but if you wanna do another sheet that's grate...

I second this notion

Thirded. It's a great idea!!

I doubt I'll have much time in the next few months because we just opened a (temporary) retail store in the Castro, San Francisco. I'm stoked, but totally tapped out on time.

The hand tattoo design idea is killer, too. I'll see if I can make some drawing time this weekend.

As you are learning to tattoo Adam you could do a lot worse than to whip out the watercolours and have a play. IMO its the closest thing you will get to tattooing without picking up a machine.

If it's not your thing then fair enough, but just an opinion.

It's been too long....

Handpus.jpg

I hope that works. Luckily I have huge hands. lol.

Have fun peoples.

Edited by GoMegaX

As you are learning to tattoo Adam you could do a lot worse than to whip out the watercolours and have a play. IMO its the closest thing you will get to tattooing without picking up a machine.

If it's not your thing then fair enough, but just an opinion.

I don't disagree, but I have a lot of experience working with watercolor. In fact, I've worked with watercolors for many years doing traditional paintings. My bitching of this rule applies to me being lazy and not wanting to watercolor because i see these contests as an exercise. Now, if there were some type of prize involved, I might be swayed to busting them out.

As an exercise, I like the idea of laying color down via PS to show the concept. Hand drawn lines, but PS to show the final scheme. I even use a tablet, so the process is no different that traditional media, save for the fact i can ctrl+z here and there.

I don't disagree, but I have a lot of experience working with watercolor. In fact, I've worked with watercolors for many years doing traditional paintings. My bitching of this rule applies to me being lazy and not wanting to watercolor because i see these contests as an exercise. Now, if there were some type of prize involved, I might be swayed to busting them out.

As an exercise, I like the idea of laying color down via PS to show the concept. Hand drawn lines, but PS to show the final scheme. I even use a tablet, so the process is no different that traditional media, save for the fact i can ctrl+z here and there.

I cant see why you can't paint in photo shop... In Guy Aitchison's book he has a chapter about how he uses photo shop to speed up his design process. But I didn't start this contest if no one has a problem with it then maybe we can get the rules changed, its basically the same a air brushing. and if you fuck up in oil or acrylic you just have to wait for the paint to dry and then you can cover it or wipe the paint off, you cant really cheat with your creativity.

It's been too long....

Handpus.jpg

I hope that works. Luckily I have huge hands. lol.

Have fun peoples.

haha this is fucking dope!!! I think you just set the standard, I would love to see this tattooed in color!

Thirded. It's a great idea!!

I doubt I'll have much time in the next few months because we just opened a (temporary) retail store in the Castro, San Francisco. I'm stoked, but totally tapped out on time.

The hand tattoo design idea is killer, too. I'll see if I can make some drawing time this weekend.

We could do a monthly pig skin contest with a different theme each month so people have more time, it would be cool to make it more like an art class than a competition if people could post there flash and progress as they go along then other member's can offer advice and ideas... it might help every one progress faster if you have the input of loads of people. I dunno I'd be up for it, I'll put a post up later this week and see if we can get enough people interested

Stoneface.jpg

Merry Christmas World.

You guys drawin' or talkin'?

is that your ph. # at the bottom!?!? good stuff dude! had i not just got my both my hands done i would have made the trip tommorow for this.