Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tylerFEA

Tryin' To Get That Pepper!

16 posts in this topic

So my friend and fellow tattoo artist and I were doing the usual "tattoo talk" we do when we get together. Seeing as he is one of the few people I have been able to watch tattoo custom pieces, obviously i try to mirror my style after him because I look up to him as a tattooer. Anyways, in a lot of his work, he has what he calls "pepper shading." After bugging him for a good thirty minutes, he told me that he traded a machine for the one that he uses for that technique (he only has one machine for it.) I have been experimenting with the springs on my shader and haven't really been able to figure out how to get this sort of shade-style. Any tips or opinons?

well my main shader is a Paco Rollins, and I have not messed with the springs or anything on it at all. it is pretty hard hitting for a shader, and what is weird is that the liner and shader that i got from Paco run on basically the same voltage..

but my other shader, my experimenting machine, is sort of in tattoo limbo at the moment. i'm thinking about hiding all the pieces that are not on it and planning a personal easter egg hunt.. haha, no but really, i'm pretty sure that until i give up on trying to mess with it, i won't be using it for awhile.

alyssawolf.jpg

Whip shading like this?

Took me an age to figure it out. I use my colour packer, so a super slow running punchy machine. The rest is trial and error.

Supercrisp Lines, may I enquire as to what grouping and possible make....;)

ur macine has to run like a woodpecker. like the one i got from nippy....

just do the opposite to clapton

Edited by mark101

Yoda :P

Therrrre ya go.... ;)

alyssawolf.jpg

Whip shading like this?

Took me an age to figure it out. I use my colour packer, so a super slow running punchy machine. The rest is trial and error.

damn this is pretty cool, thats a great example of that pepper shading technique, yeah i had a machine that ran really slow like 75-80 hz and was perfect for pepper shading,,the only problem was i didnt like that type and wanted smoother type shading so i was the opposite. i couldnt figure out to get my shading to come out smoother and alli could do was pepper shading. lol.

i couldnt figure out to get my shading to come out smoother and alli could do was pepper shading. lol.

faster and soft.

faster and soft.

yeah bro,, i finally figured how to get my machines to go faster and hit softer,, myu Carlton machines are perfect for that and also the Jason Haney machine feel like he put 16 ga. springs on the back and those are even nicer for smooth shading. thanks bro.

Slow machine+ fast hand=pepper

no sweat, thanks for sharing