Sign in to follow this  
amybird

Forlorn Girlbird

Last week I painted this as a gift to take along to an appointment at Göteborg Classic Tattooing in Sweden on Friday :)

Was in a hurry to finish it...past midnight on Thursday, so there's bad lighting coz I couldn't get one of my usual good daylight photos before having to part with her. Also it's not quite as polished as usual due to tiredness and the speed I was going at. I'm amazed those beads didn't come out any worse lol

First time on Arches paper (love it). My nib pen had a bumpy ride tho!! Ok lines, but not as clean as I like to keep 'em.

girlbird_0.jpg

It's a while since I've done one of my big pic-dumps here, and I know some of you like them, so here we go with the progress pics!

Finding the lines:

girlbird-progress-01_1.jpg

Figuring out the new paper...

The lines didn't transfer as easily as usual. That surface is sooo hard! No give in the paper whatsoever. My usual paper is more textured than this, but it's softer. Had to re-pencil over the lines before inking them, so I could be sure what was going on. Lined with the less forgiving B-6 coz my B-5 1/2 is knackered and needs replacing. And just...omg merciless paper lol. BUT, I noticed when I added those red lines, there was much better flow. So I'm gonna try some other ink brands. Think I can make it work :)

girlbird-progress-02_0.jpg

Painting progress:

girlbird-progress-03_0.jpg

I couldn't deal with the eyes by the end, so Ruki very kindly responded to an emergency call and created these pretty things for her in Photoshop, which I just copied directly.....thank-you!! :D

iwef_0.jpg

nice amy ! arches is good huh ! hehe also love it, but dislike thats it heavy textured.... thats 1 of the things why the lines are getting bumpy and not even. doing lineworks with microns suck on this paper btw

Truly gorgeous. The eyes and the feet are my fave aspects. Sure to blow them away, especially if they haven't seen any of your work yet. Try some hot press arches for smoother paper!

Thanks :) Hehe I think Jonas probably thought it was a bit silly. It certainly looked fucking silly when I showed it to him surrounded by walls of floor-to-ceiling paintings by some of my favourite tattooists....Diego Brandi, the Smith Street ppl etc... ha, think I died a little inside. Felt a little better when he actually used it to reference some oak leaves and an acorn though :lol: I don't think it's gonna make it to their wall of fame. What a time for me to have a nib/paper/lining crisis among all those trad heroes...I said, "OMG I swear I CAN line!! Honestly!! Just new paper, pen issues, I promise!!" lol He said it had obviously been done by a girl. Heehee :P

Awesome as always Amy! Try the hot press paper, much smoother than the cold press.

Hehe :) Nah I'm gonna keep at it with this paper. Think I might be able to get some better results still.

Same coffee staining technique as always. If anything it's a little messier than usual, not quite flush to the outlines, due to me rushing it etc.

Soooo, guess I better throw in a tattoo pic huh :D

Asked Jonas for one of his weirdy roses, a bird, oak, Virginia Woolf silhouette and upside-down droplets.

This is what I got. I love it so much. It's everything about his work that's had me puzzling and drooling over it for more than a year now. Weirdy-ugly-pretty.

I asked for no brown...so of course he was all about the brown :D

Here's the pic from his FB

jonasugglibird.jpg

Here are a couple from the morning after, complete with the onset of what turned out to be a weekend of epic swelling which is only just starting to go down :blink:

Clicky1

Clicky2

Clicky3

:) Very happy!

i really like all of this except the big flowers .. i like there shape and all but they are too big they overpower the design ... i woulda liked to see them the same size or a tab bigger than the others but still the same design .. and more of them obviously to fill up the paper a bit more .... overall great design overall just not a fan of the bigger flowers ....

Nice looking tattoo. I've become a huge fan of Jonas Uggli over the years. Just out of curiosity (pm me if you'd like), how much did he charge?

pffft!!!!!!!! amy's complaining about the beads....... girl it looks awesome!!!!!!!!!! fantastic as usual....... if they dont want it send it to me..... :D ill frame that bitch!!!!!!!!!

great tattoo, beautiful painting! absolutly love it ( and every other painting you've done). I really love your stlye and would LOVE to have a piece of your art tattood on me.

those lines were way too thin good apart from that tho. kindof prefered it before the coffee staining

oh yer an nice tat looks great yo, old school but not too busy

Great painting Amy and great tattoo, I'm jealous Jonas is top of my wish list. Shame he's not at the Brighton Convention, although I'll probably get another piece by his friend Pedro, as I did last year. I'd also be interested to know what it cost.

Damn, nice work Amy...also upon looking at this marvelous piece here Im starting to think that im the only ass left in the world that draws directly on his arches paper instead of tracing it! hahaha

You got some slick stuff going on in the purrty lil' head of yours yo!