Sign in to follow this  
dirtnail

Coffee Stains... At What Stage?

hi people, i've been trying to add some coffee stains to my spitshade practice sheets but ruined them in the process...

when putting coffee over a colored piece the watercolors blended with the coffee and i ended up with an orange sheet... which actually didnt even look half bad, but still...

then i did some searching and someone suggested adding stains after the outlining... but doing that ruined my spitshading since the coffee seemed to prevent the ink from bleeding, hence ruining my shades...

and my shading is crap to begin with so you can imagine the messiness of the result ;)

so maybe this is a realy stupid question but... whats the right moment to add the caffeine into the mix?

did find out wet sheets dry real well in the oven btw... they even straighten... like... magic! :)

cheers!

hi people, i've been trying to add some coffee stains to my spitshade practice sheets but ruined them in the process...

when putting coffee over a colored piece the watercolors blended with the coffee and i ended up with an orange sheet... which actually didnt even look half bad, but still...

then i did some searching and someone suggested adding stains after the outlining... but doing that ruined my spitshading since the coffee seemed to prevent the ink from bleeding, hence ruining my shades...

and my shading is crap to begin with so you can imagine the messiness of the result ;)

so maybe this is a realy stupid question but... whats the right moment to add the caffeine into the mix?

did find out wet sheets dry real well in the oven btw... they even straighten... like... magic! :)

cheers!

I either add my coffee stains prior to lining, after lining or after my black shading. I would never do it at once I've started color. Usually I try to do after i line but sometimes I don't have coffee with me so I have to wait. If I have to stain at the end there are other stains that I would use.

Most of the time I do it at the end. Even when I wasn't painting with permanent colours I did this. But I'm backwards so....

:D

i do it after linning and black shading ... because that the only tuly perminent part so i do it at that point that way it dosnt effect the colors at all and u alredy see what the colors will look like aginst the brown stain ...

so basicly you all do it different and even at stages i tried... yeah this is helping a lot, thank you... haha ;)

seeing it can basicly be done at any stage i guess i just messed up somewhere.

might be i ruined the paper by heating it... or could be the instant coffee instead of real stuff... interesting... time for some experiments i'd say!

thanks!

I paint around, not over...

EDIT: The coffee I mean. I apply the coffee around not over the design.

Edited by amybird

i coffee stain after the color is done .. so coffee staining is the last part of the task ... but wat I DO .. is take a paint brush and get all the areas that are tight or close to the pics until i have a coffee stain "border" around my images .. then I just take a sponge and dab untill i like it

something you may wanna try if you'd like to get sloppy with your coffee but not run over your image is liquid masking frisket. neat stuff!

yayayayakokoko.jpg

if u peep the right design .. ull see the tight parts i do with a paint brush ... but wen its all said and done .. just do wat ever u feel comfortable doing .. if u take ur time and think b4 u paint then i dont see how u can fuk it up .. just be careful