dirtnail

Trying Watercolors...

hi people, so i figured it was about time a got my hands dirty and got busy with some watercolors...

have to say i dislike just about everything about the mess posted below...the fades are terrible, the painting is an absolute mess and the colors... well... horrible!

but, decided to post these anyway for feedback and stuff... and who knows, maybe someone feeling bad about their watercolor skillls may feel good about themselves again after seeing my handywork ;)

5220759923_002f6c775f.jpg

but luckily it was loads of fun and i do kind of like the shape of the roses themselves so i'm determined to improve! :)

neat :) . Nothin that can't be improved with a little work! The main things that jump out as wrong to me are- the bleeding of color outside the lines, the over saturation of watercolor in spots, the linework needs to be redone after painted, the consistency of some of the colors from one spot to another don't seem even, and the contrast of color on in the inner petals seems wrong(blue+lighter red- where it should be darker) . I dig the design of these roses though, and I think just paying attention to those things will make a world of difference.

still hate your style of rose expecially if its traditional your going for ...

paint wise you need better saturation and better fades ... your fades are lacking a lot .. secondly is the color choice .. why is thiere any red pedald in a blue rose ?? and whats up with the green insude the rose .. you need some better color choices ...

I think you could probably get away with this style.of rose (i quite like them) but your colors need work. keep it simple. For example, the rose on the left could have been left with without the red petals and it would have been perfect. Check out some of the spitshading posts and start experimenting.

thanks for the pointers!

@ghost brains : retracing the lines... wont that make them blacker than the black parts of the shading? or dont you color the black, just the faded part?

@the nerd : hehe... even if you don't like them, i appreciate the feedback! don't think i'm going for strickt traditional btw, don't want to stick to a style realy, just draw what feels good or 'natural'...

anyway, saturation... yeah i find the watercolors very hard to control... having some trouble getting a feel for the amount of water and ink i need to use. also feel like i need to start working my brush more, more wetting and drying... and stop wanting to drag the fades out way to far and make them to smooth, messing everything up in the process... this is going to require daily practice i guess :)

@natebot : thanks, gonna try a less color approach next time. read the spitshading topics and they're great! even have a spitshade video so as far as theory goes i think i'm set... to bad reading about something and actually doing it are totally different ;)

tonight i'll be giving it another go!

and hopefully constrain myself from going overboard on the colors ;)

thanks for the pointers!

@ghost brains : retracing the lines... wont that make them blacker than the black parts of the shading? or dont you color the black, just the faded part?

these lines should be visible and bold throughought the image, like in the digital images you made. Some of these lines dissapear and blur as they have been run over with water. And if i understand you, I usually run color over the black fade and pull it slighty into the black.

so your using tube paint? tube paint is good when you know the right abount of water to ink ratio you need .. that comes with time, ide advise dr martins watercolors because they are pre mixed water and ink all you got to do is paint ... and your colors look muddy the reason that happened is ciz your trying to use two colors ... use jsut 1 color for the roses and thats it ... you can start getting fancy later on ... learn to walk b4 you run

Yup, what Nerd said. Tube paints are really hard to control because they're very watery and not very saturated alot of the time. Dr Ph. Martin's watercolors or FW Acrylics are the shit (acrylics are permanent once dried). Watch the videos, once you figure out the theory behind spitshading it's pretty simple stuff, it's mostly a matter of controlling your fades/amount of paint/spit/water and colors choices (I still struggle on that one sometimes). After that, it falls together pretty easily.

As far as relining your piece, I usually find myself needing to do this if I've painted over the lines. I usually end up going back in to repaint my blackest areas once I've laid my color over them. The color seems to want to sit right on top of it sometimes. The repainting is much easier than the initial black fade, it's more of a slight touchup and goes down real easy.

You're off on a good start, my advice would be to keep it simple for now (black to red to paper fades) and enjoy yourself.

Edited by natebot

part two

spend most of my evening ruining one rose, doing fade tests and shading two roses... still no masterpieces but starting to get the slightest feeling of control now and then... although sometimes the fades look good wet but get ugly edges once the ink dries...

fadings...

5224520943_54f0c456d4_z.jpg

roses...

5225116052_6861164a2f_z.jpg

thanks for the feedback so far!

The hard edges you see once dry, need to be whipped out before they dry with your clean wet brush. Just like you're pulling out from the black, also pull out from the gray fade. that'll make it much smoother and then no edges. The type of ink used makes a big difference, I had started out using a non waterproof ink (higgins eterna)l which became a sloppy mess when re-wet, then started using higgins black magic which I like and is really solid. The amount of time between laying down the black, and laying down the wet brush is also a key factor- it looks like you may be waiting too long? A technique that i also like is repetitive stabbing into the black with clean brush to pull it as you move the brush back, and then you can also kind of push it back in this way also, if that makes sense? keep up the good work, to infinity and beyond! :lol:

thanks for all the tips! they're realy helping... though it might not see mthat way yet ;)

got two more test roses done last night... had more lined up but then the girlfriend started puking her guts out so i had to play nurse... probably finish them tonight.

outlined these with a dip pen... still getting used to working with ink so they're a bit messy. and shaded with just spit... have the feeling i have a bit more control with spit, and apparently i have plenty! :)

5228172775_34e0dd9591_z.jpg

so lessons learned this session...

- spit rules!

- i need more control over the amount of ink loaded onto my brush, maybe use a little cup instead of just dipping into the bottle...

- slow and focussed, need to take care not to rush anything

- you can turn paper to get better angles to work with ;)

fw acrylic, that shit isnt for drinking- its liquid plastic, they cant get enough of the shit though

Ooh I hadn't looked in this thread since you first posted it.

Cool :)

- spit rules!

:D

- i need more control over the amount of ink loaded onto my brush, maybe use a little cup instead of just dipping into the bottle...

Something I picked up off David Tevenal - tattoo ink caps! I use one of those little metal holders of ink caps instead of a palette now :)

tattoo ink caps! I use one of those little metal holders of ink caps instead of a palette now :)

+1 .. but i thought i cleverly invented it :) .. been using large caps for a while now ....i gorilla glue caps to the holder ..

more crap... :)

thanks again for all the comments and tips!

added some colors this time, to see how the shading would come out... noticed it seems to make the shades look more smooth...

which is good news since i'm starting to get a bit frustraded by my lacking ability to get them as smooth as i would like... hence te ink splatter :)

5244609569_4391a61ff2.jpg

@amy... ink caps would work yes... was thinking about those aswell, but dont have any so am using a small take-away sojasauce cup now... it even has a lid! :)

@truejew... got 6 more test roses waiting for shading... bigger ones this time, hopefully makes things easier. after that its on to skull practice! :)