Sign in to follow this  
rots

First Attempt At Realism

ok first up just wanna say im pretty fuckin nervous about posting this piece up, sadly i do not have the refferenece for it its going to be a sleeve so all my shit for it is at work, anyway its meant to be that lady out of sin city, thats the theme of the arm, its not finished but close to, theres a piece above it but thats no where near done so i'll hold off on posting it, i used only a 9rm and a 8rs no outlines were used in this piece, alla prima washes an turbo black were used, oh an a smidge of white, alright well trhats my ramble, do what ink trails does best.....

SAM_0105.jpg

SAM_0099.jpg

sorry this ones a bit blurry...

it looks good at first glance. let me take a closer look and ill write again.

Main thing im seeing is it blends horribly into the tattoo above it.

it looks good at first glance. let me take a closer look and ill write again.

Main thing im seeing is it blends horribly into the tattoo above it.

im gunna brush some of the hair up into the one above, the face of the chick is nearly finished but the ret is just sketched in, like a base to build off, thanks for the reply though moon, i was actually hoping you would post on this one, your mag work is killer any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

you think its fair he has to live with your first attempt?

Where else are someone's first attempts going to be? Unless one is going to tattoo shitty flaming dice on everyones thigh there's going to have to be first attempts on other people.

No doubt. Someone is going to be a first. I like it for the most part. I wouldn't have went that high withe the hair into the other dude's face though, but whatever. I like the eyes alright. The light source is a bit confusing though. The Girls left cheek has a weird shadow that I don't get and quite a bit of shading on both sides of the upper lip. I would have thought lighter work to be on the left side of her face. The side towards his body.

the person its on is a mate an was fully aware of the situation, was charged next to nothing because of that, an left happy, again sorry for the lack of refference but the light source in general was confusing as she (in the movie) was looking up at this scene on a roof under a few different lights

Seriously? someone always gets the first one. Have you never done something different on skin?

Alot of my tattoos i switch up and try new things in there. Thats what helps you grow as an artist. see what works and what wont. This is not a horrible tattoo.

The Gradienst look smooth. The hair is just sketched in so I wont comment on that.

There seems to be some odd shading in her cheek, not complimenting the shape her face has.

Where are the ears?

I really wanna know how youre gonna blend it in with the rest of the sleeve. --Is it gonna be a portrait only sleeve?

its not terrible and looks life like... I would be happy with it. good job.

as far as a sleeve goes we will have to wait and see how everything fits together.

I'd wear that... Be also interested to see how you incorporate this with the rest of the sleeve. No idea if its how you placed the eyes or just how she looks, but the eyes seem googly to me. If you cover the lower eye, the top eye appears to be staring straight at me... but if I cover the top eye the bottom eye is having a perv at the merchandise

Edited by Monk Kustoms

This is not a horrible tattoo

Beg to differ. this is a fucking awfu tattoo.

where should your first be? how about PAPER, im getting sick of saying this, it doesnt seem anyone is really listening.

im not just being a jackass trying to make myself look good or pissing on other peoples efforts, when I see good work I give kudos, when I see awful work I tell people what time it is.

Seriously? someone always gets the first one. Have you never done something different on skin?

after perfecting it on paper, yes. even then I havent done a portrait on skin yet, because after all the practice I realise now just how much Ive still got left to learn.

I did this piece nearly a year ago but im still dont understand enough to permanently mark it onto skin, he can listen to who he wants but when people post here im going to give an honest crit not just pat them on the back and tell then theyre doing just great

My link

peace

Edited by Tez

Beg to differ. this is a fucking awfu tattoo.

where should your first be? how about PAPER, im getting sick of saying this, it doesnt seem anyone is really listening.

im not just being a jackass trying to make myself look good or pissing on other peoples efforts, when I see good work I give kudos, when I see awful work I tell people what time it is.

after perfecting it on paper, yes. even then I havent done a portrait on skin yet, because after all the practice I realise now just how much Ive still got left to learn.

I did this piece nearly a year ago but im still dont understand enough to permanently mark it onto skin, he can listen to who he wants but when people post here im going to give an honest crit not just pat them on the back and tell then theyre doing just great

My link

peace

It's no disco chicken holding a boombox is it, Tez? :)

this is a fucking awful tattoo.

That's quite a strong thing to say without going into some explanation about what you see wrong with it and ways in which it could have been done differently...

Out-nerding The Nerd you are.... :(

eldubya that bird was fresh when I posted it you should see it now its healed, it horrendous. all the lines have gone on vacation

im not sure my opinions are really wanted at this point, and kilowatt could do a much better job than me, but since he's remaining suspiciously quiet ill say what I think could have been done differently.

The placement of the piece is very very bad, if you knew the hair was going to be coming up that far why put it that close to the other portrait, and since it is that close you'd have to have no hair where the other face is rather than do what youve done and line and shade right onto the other one like it wasnt there. its also wonky is at an angle, I cant say thats wrong maybe you preferred it that way but im not keen.

the hair itself is done badly it looks like tentacles, you havent got strands or different sized clumps theyre all the same like dreadlocks. you can clump hair and find shapes in it like this, but you'd have to play around on paper to understand that. also no flow in the hair or individual strands.

the shading around the face almost looks like youve got mid tones but really youve got dark and then grey like its two tone almost, theres no real fades and you can clearly see the seperated tones around the piece, so your shading needs some work. yove gone too heavy in certain ares like under her eyes shes got bags and above the lip it looks too dark but that may be your reference, and shes gurning a little

if this is from a photo reference your stencil probably needed work because all the shapes are off, the nose is two straight lines no detail in the bridge the shape of the bottom wouldnt look anything like a photo (it looks like a squidgy one piece, not definition in the wing or septum). to give you an example of exaggerated nose anatomy look here, you can find most of bridgmans books here you should download and copy some.

the same for the actual face outline it doesnt look real, the same for the lips theyre too flat. the eye is awful theres no iris or cornea just pupil with a little highlight, the actual highlight isnt even the same on both eyes on the left its much lower and a different shape.

shes got no ears wtf?

youve made the classic mistake of lining the lips, if this was a trad piece or new school or whatever then you would line the lips but this is a portrait you cant do that, youve painted yourself into a corner and when you come to finish the piece the parts of the lips that need to be dark will look fine, the parts that need to be light wont work because theres a black line going through them.

im not trying to put you down as an artist, youve got skills, but you dont UNDERSTAND what your doing with this. draw lots and lots of portraits and post them here, and take my works as constructive criticism not me trying to make myself look big or shit on other peoples efforts, because every time i make a post like this i look like more and more of an asshole, but i can deal with that as long im helping somebody learn and grow and one day make badass work.

peace

I'm not going to get too in depth here with this one, but the main thing I'm seeing besides other stuff pointed out is the lack of mid-tones. The jump from dark values to light ones has a critical effect on form, with almost any subject. When you change stuff around in realism, you get something other than the target, intentional or not.

I agree with Tez about gaining a full understanding on these key elements in a realism piece, of any medium. The most subtle of differences creates different form.

I'll point this out in 1 example: Look at her mouth. Look at the mouth on the reference. I use the mouth as an example because it holds a wide range of value which creates what it is you see. The shading on the lower lip should have been dark on "her" right side, but you shaded it under the mouth and left it as a line drawing, which is a huge no no in the realism world. Lines are bad. The lips are un touched with value, when they should be full of different shades, including the highlight. The lightest areas on this should have been only the reflective surfaces from moisture, the eyes and lip. Everything else should have held a downtone of some sort. Her forhead and cheeks look very bulgy, but this could be fixed with a light wash and taking some of it down to create the form it should be.

You should do some portrait work on paper and post it. Shit, do this portrait on paper and post it. With any luck we can use that as a tool to improve the one you've done, a lot of it can be saved.

Portrait work is portrait work with any medium. Being a pencil, charcoal, paint, clay, tooth paste or a tattoo machine, the fundamentals are the same. Mainly the way light hits objects, which is what creates what you see. Take care in reading the subject for what it truly is or it'll be distorted in the end.