k.ink

My First Ever Portrait Tattoo Practice.

34 posts in this topic

the medium is pretty much irrelevant, the problems you are having are contrast, depth, matching values, having the right shadow shapes ect ect ect, these rules apply to ANY MEDIUM. so when we say do work on paper it is because you have to understand these concepts to get the result your after.

the tattoo is too wide the original has a thinner face. the eyes are too flat they dont curve around the skull like they do in the original. youve put too much shading around the cheeks and lost all your lighter areas (and the shading isnt smooth enough and looks like hair). you didnt go dark enough in many areas like the hair and under the chin, the actual shapes of shading are wrong again like the cheek for example. you didnt use any/enough white for highlights as was in the original. yours doesnt have a neck. your missing alot of mid-tones. the lips are too long and thin it looks like yours is pouting.

like I say do some portraits on paper

Thanks tez for your imput. theese are the kind of issues im trying to discover that need fixing.However here is some answers just relating to things you mentioned.

1. I didnt actually post my reference "original" so how do you know the face is thinner? the other tattoo i posted was in reference to the crown of thorns i did.not the tattoo as a whole.i used different reference for that.

2. 1 actually made a stencil directly from the original reference so the reference is proportional to the tattoo i did.

3 I agree about the eyes but again i didnt post the original reference i used.

4 I agree i need to go darker in other areas.

5. white highlights do not appear on rubber skin.

6 he doesnt have a kneck because writing is to go under where the beard ends.

7 Im not seeing any problems with the lips

8 i do portraits on paper all the time.

Thanks again for your imput.:-D

love your gallery btw.

Thanks tez for your imput. theese are the kind of issues im trying to discover that need fixing.However here is some answers just relating to things you mentioned.

1. I didnt actually post my reference "original" so how do you know the face is thinner? the other tattoo i posted was in reference to the crown of thorns i did.not the tattoo as a whole.i used different reference for that.

2. 1 actually made a stencil directly from the original reference so the reference is proportional to the tattoo i did.

love your gallery btw.

and as alot of us do,it still needs more practice,doesn't matter how good we are,how good we think we are,practice,practice practice,then more practice.after a while ya just get this flow till ya start envisioning it in yer sleep and then that's a good morning to wake to for sure. you have alot of potential,keep hittin it,i liked practice skin,but it teaches you to bear down harder than real skin,turn your voltage up too much or even tune your machines to hit too hard,so practice with a grain of salt,because you end up having to relearn if you rely too heavily on plastic,just too easy to traumatise real skin in comparison honestly.think about 1/3 to almost 1/2 the hit for skin,there is a balancing act between the skin's boundaries and impact,and the hit,there's a sweet spot that is differet on everyone,and sum people just are like leather,just won't take ink easily.so listening to others even though ya may not need that info in your eyes now,is worth heeding for your future habits.good luck,and i promise no mo partridges,lol

love your gallery btw.

You like his gallery, but you don't want to listen to what he's saying which is great advise. I think you should try to let go of your "grip" on what you're doing and be more humble. If you had all the answers, you wouldn't be asking them.

Heres my advise to you about portraits, stop screwing around with the machines and focus on paper. You've just made a list of excuses as to why this portrait isn't up to par. Lets take a look at your list.

1. Your reference

2. Your reference

3. Your reference

4. Great, I agree on that one too.

5. Your medium

6. Okay, fair enough

7. Wheres the reference?

8. Lets see some of those and straighten out your portrait work.

The bottom line is, if your portraits on paper look like this tattoo, you need to go back and work on the portraits, not the tattoos. You're leaving too much to guess work by the people you're asking for advise and tips from. There are some great artists here who can actually help and who are more than willing to take time out of their busy day to give you sound advise. A lot of these people do this for a living. I do graphite / charcoal portraits for a living and sell them well into the 4 digits.

I see it as it wouldn't be fair to your artwork to critique this tattoo as your artwork. I understand that you're looking for a crit on the tattoo itself, but the fundamentals of any tattoo is the artist and their ability at artwork. Your ability is what creates the tattoo and in the case of this tattoo, I see problems in your basic portrait abilities. You can't critique a tattoo without critiquing the ability of the artist, which is where you should back up a little and work on that instead of the tattoos. Honestly, this isn't an attack or anybody trying to knock you down, but actual advise which is meant to help you for the better of your tattoos. What you "want" is irrelevant in your thread, its about what others who know more than you can see that you need and try to steer you in the right direction. Its really just that simple and you should try to accept that, after all, you asked.

I would suggest that if you want a crit on a tattoo, you post a reference and a pencil drawing of it with the tattoo. This way, we can see what you're working with as a reference and what you're working with as an artist. The transition between the reference, the drawing and the tattoo would be clear and everybody can give you clear answers and advise. Your skill will be out on the table, the drawing can be refined and the tattoo technique can be refined based off of everything else.

I apologize if I'm coming across as a dick, but I'm really just trying to pull the weeds out of this and create focus and efficiency to better your ability. I'm a true believer in backing up to the root to fix the problem and not sugar coating until it tastes good.

Chris.

and as alot of us do,it still needs more practice,doesn't matter how good we are,how good we think we are,practice,practice practice,then more practice.after a while ya just get this flow till ya start envisioning it in yer sleep and then that's a good morning to wake to for sure. you have alot of potential,keep hittin it,i liked practice skin,but it teaches you to bear down harder than real skin,turn your voltage up too much or even tune your machines to hit too hard,so practice with a grain of salt,because you end up having to relearn if you rely too heavily on plastic,just too easy to traumatise real skin in comparison honestly.think about 1/3 to almost 1/2 the hit for skin,there is a balancing act between the skin's boundaries and impact,and the hit,there's a sweet spot that is differet on everyone,and sum people just are like leather,just won't take ink easily.so listening to others even though ya may not need that info in your eyes now,is worth heeding for your future habits.good luck,and i promise no mo partridges,lol

hehe, thanks for the advice man, i get now whats up with rubber skin so ill concentrate more on pigskin..your pretty cool in my books and i listen to what you say cuz u put it nicely..it just gets me when ppl come on with an attitude tward me and critique my work when their gallery sucks dick. i like good advice but im sick to death of ppl being dicks to me on these forums. thanks again to all who gave me good advice and didnt have an attitude tward me.

im fin with this topic. peace, :-D

ok, well i think that for being on fake skin, and for being your first portrait tattoo, you did well. as an overall tattoo i would give it a C, with an A+ being perfect. i think that the way the hair is on it makes it look like Jesus is being framed inside his hair. the thorns need more work, but overall, like i said i think you did a pretty good job. hell, i haven't even tried a portrait tattoo yet. and i don't plan on it for a while.

If you cant take hard critique (people being dicks) this isn't the industry for you period.

Edited by Kliff

If you cant take hard critique (people being dicks) this isn't the industry for you period.

ive been taking it for years man im just gettin fed up , dont mind me,. wont stop me from tattooin tho. gave up on everything in my life. not giving up on this.

that was pointless

that was pointless

agreed

i read this whole topic. if someone tells you whats wrong with it thier being dicks?!!??!BUT if some one praises it then thats the critique your looking for?!?! HMMM?

i Guess guys like kilowat have no idea what thier talking about when it comes to realism and portraits huh? If I were you i would copy and paste everything that guy tells you, or anyone trying to help you for that matter! kilowat your a dick you have know idea what your talkingabout put the pencils down!:blink::D