What Gauge Springs Are You Guys Running?

- - - - -

14 replies to this topic

maggotspawn

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
What gauge springs are you guys running in your tattoo machines? Liners/Shaders/Color Packers. My machines are running good for now. ITS said the springs on my machines are 23 gauge, which sounds whack. Just got the full spring set from Pulse, might change them up in a bit.

Guest_time traveler_*

• Guests
i use whatever the builder throws on em' since he knows my tattooing style pretty well. study machine theory.

STEELE

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

maggotspawn, on May 20 2010, 04:02 PM, said:

What gauge springs are you guys running in your tattoo machines? Liners/Shaders/Color Packers. My machines are running good for now. ITS said the springs on my machines are 23 gauge, which sounds whack. Just got the full spring set from Pulse, might change them up in a bit.

Ive seen this same question asked here a million times. the answers are all over the forum so a search on springs, or better yet try all sorts of configs on your machines and see what works best for you.

maggotspawn

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I've been searching and reading the forum for like a month. No concrete answers on this. I realize a thicker front spring will make the machine faster. Am I right in thing a thicker rear spring will make it hit harder?

jrf134

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
try as many configurations as you can,the more you try the more you'll know,may wanna even try your hnd at makin yer own sumday,well worth it,never have to wait for one if they break,;)

STEELE

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

maggotspawn, on May 20 2010, 06:18 PM, said:

I've been searching and reading the forum for like a month. No concrete answers on this. I realize a thicker front spring will make the machine faster. Am I right in thing a thicker rear spring will make it hit harder?

thiers no concrete answer, because whats solid for me may not be for you. you just have to find what you like.but everything you need to get you moving in the right direction IS right here in this forum. thiers all different configurations, for all types of work. just think what you want your machine to do and how it should hit to do that. the best way to learn is buy quality machines and see how they are set up. or check out machine sites and do the same.

maggotspawn

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I guess my real question is: What effect does a thicker or thinner back spring have on the machine? If I can get an answer to that I think I'll be alright.

feral bunny

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
A thicker rear spring means that there will be more spring tension and therefore will require more pull from the coils to move the armature bar. This should equate to a harder hit. Spring tension can be achieved by the gauge of the spring as well as bending it up or down.

There's theories about how much spring tension you want to be running at, but I haven't done a lot of fiddling around yet. I'd like to get a spring set and play around with different settings to see what I can achieve with each of them.
(\  /)
(o.o)
(> 3=- <3

STEELE

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
Thiers alot of good reading here on the forum, and you may wanna check the eikon website, lots thier too. spring size-tension-gaps-coil size-abar weight(and more)- all play rolls in how hard or soft a machine will push a needle.

I guess my real question is: What effect does a thicker or thinner back spring have on the machine?
depends how wide or narrow it is.

feral bunny

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Inkspressit, on May 20 2010, 09:23 PM, said:

Not necessarily, a thicker spring or one with more tension will, as soon as the contact is broken (and Coils de-energized), work to bring the bar back to the contact and therefore could also act to lighten the hit, there are also various other factors to take into account and i won't be going into specifics in open boards

Makes sense, now that I think about this.

I usually don't pay attention if I am on the free side or paid side, so I tend to blather. Perhaps too much. :)

Anywho, thanks for debunking everything that I previously believed. I guess I have to fiddle with machines more.

Edited by feral bunny, 21 May 2010 - 10:44 AM.

(\  /)
(o.o)
(> 3=- <3

maggotspawn

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Just found this report on springs from Eikon in an older thread. http://forum.ink-trails.com/redirect.php?u...s%2Freport6.pdf

STEELE

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

maggotspawn, on May 25 2010, 09:49 AM, said:

Just found this report on springs from Eikon in an older thread. http://forum.ink-trails.com/redirect.php?u...s%2Freport6.pdf

just use what ever you read anywhere as a starting point try different setups to figure out what works for you.

Guest_time traveler_*

• Guests
hot cold hard soft 20 18 16 blah blah blah. you can achieve equal results out of multiple specs. non of this matters. you need to know what is required to get the results the artowork needs. there is no such cure for your ailment good sir. i understand you want answers but the questions you ask have no benefit if you dont know how to achieve the results the artwork requires. study art theory books. color theory books. learn this first. then you can come in here and ask a respectable question that sounds like it comes from the mouth of an educated person..... you just might get an educated answer like this one here. are you under shading? are you washing or glazing? are you lining? with what configuration does the art require? hmmmmmm? you are hereby sentenced to a year at the drawing board. i motion the court to adjourn. B)

maggotspawn

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

time traveler, on May 27 2010, 09:57 AM, said:

hot cold hard soft 20 18 16 blah blah blah. you can achieve equal results out of multiple specs. non of this matters. you need to know what is required to get the results the artowork needs. there is no such cure for your ailment good sir. i understand you want answers but the questions you ask have no benefit if you dont know how to achieve the results the artwork requires. study art theory books. color theory books. learn this first. then you can come in here and ask a respectable question that sounds like it comes from the mouth of an educated person..... you just might get an educated answer like this one here. are you under shading? are you washing or glazing? are you lining? with what configuration does the art require? hmmmmmm? you are hereby sentenced to a year at the drawing board. i motion the court to adjourn. :D
B)