Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Skynyard

First Go At Dotwork...

Well, i had a girl booked in for this evening and was after something on her foot but didn't really know what she wanted. So after a bit of sketching and scribbling we came up with a shape and idea we liked. Then flicking through a magazine i came across some dot work, and really liked the effect it gave. I ran it past her and she loved the idea.

So, we went for it. I think i pulled it off, but as it's not something i've got a lot of knowledge of i'm not sure if theres anything else i should have been keeping in mind.

Anyway, here it is. Any opinions or advice?

IMG00176-20100408-1825.jpg

I really like like that , the dots perfectly suggest the shapes , I would like to try something like this on my own leg over the weekend to add on to some tattoos I already have ,

did you do the whole tattoo by "dotting" or did you use solid black filling technique for the darker parts (small circles , darker parts of the petals) and dot the rest

also do you do the dots at the depth for lining or shading? , what voltage were you using and what machine?

sorry to ask a million questions but i'd like to start to learn a new technique

I don't know if I like it and I'm usually a sucker for dotwork... its like the shapes (espescially the one closest to the heel) aren't quite defined enough, and the large one next to it isn't quite round enough to make it flow. There is an (expensive) book just put out by the woman who does the Needles & Sins blog called Blackwork Tattoos which is epic.

My favorite dotwork tattoo artist, by far, is marc from the swastika freakshop:

http://www.little-swastika.com/en/tattoo.html

I'd study the shit out of this guys work before having another go at it... I imagine dotwork is just like trad in that you have to really dedicate yourself to it before you can pull it off (but don't quote me on that!)

I really like like that , the dots perfectly suggest the shapes , I would like to try something like this on my own leg over the weekend to add on to some tattoos I already have ,

did you do the whole tattoo by "dotting" or did you use solid black filling technique for the darker parts (small circles , darker parts of the petals) and dot the rest

also do you do the dots at the depth for lining or shading? , what voltage were you using and what machine?

sorry to ask a million questions but i'd like to start to learn a new technique

I basically set-up as if i was lining and just slightly turned down the voltage. I'm sorry, i don't know exactly what the voltage was, as i set-up by ear and feeling the speed of the armature bar.

I basically put a very small outline in the very darkest areas to make sure i had a definite outline where it was needed, and done a tiny bit of black fill. Apart from that it was all dots. :lol:

I don't know if I like it and I'm usually a sucker for dotwork... its like the shapes (espescially the one closest to the heel) aren't quite defined enough, and the large one next to it isn't quite round enough to make it flow. There is an (expensive) book just put out by the woman who does the Needles & Sins blog called Blackwork Tattoos which is epic.

My favorite dotwork tattoo artist, by far, is marc from the swastika freakshop:

http://www.little-swastika.com/en/tattoo.html

I'd study the shit out of this guys work before having another go at it... I imagine dotwork is just like trad in that you have to really dedicate yourself to it before you can pull it off (but don't quote me on that!)

Yeah know what mean matey, and cheers for the advice. And thanks for the link very interesting viewing! :lol:

Looks lovely dude...

most of the dotwork stuff i've seen (I think) was all quite uniform gradients... i like the fact your dots are more... flowing.

Not sure I know what I'm talkinga about this time of the morning though.

Looks lovely dude...

most of the dotwork stuff i've seen (I think) was all quite uniform gradients... i like the fact your dots are more... flowing.

Not sure I know what I'm talkinga about this time of the morning though.

Cheers matey!

As i said i was basically winging it with this, i just took shapes i would usually line and shade and just dotted it instead! :lol:

I basically set-up as if i was lining and just slightly turned down the voltage. I'm sorry, i don't know exactly what the voltage was, as i set-up by ear and feeling the speed of the armature bar.

I basically put a very small outline in the very darkest areas to make sure i had a definite outline where it was needed, and done a tiny bit of black fill. Apart from that it was all dots.

Thank you , much appreciated , :lol:

What needle did you use? Looks good but maybe the dots are a bit too big for the piece, smaller dots may have helped to get smoother transitions? My gf and shop partner is known for her dotwork and she mostly always uses tight 3rl. Check out her album on our facebook for some more dotty inspiration :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Tenacious-...83994864?ref=ts

Edited by Ruki

What needle did you use? Looks good but maybe the dots are a bit too big for the piece, smaller dots may have helped to get smoother transitions? My gf and shop partner is known for her dotwork and she mostly always uses tight 3rl. Check out her album on our facebook for some more dotty inspiration :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Tenacious-...83994864?ref=ts

Cheers matey, that's really interesting. I used a 5rl. Next time i do some i'll go smaller. :lol:

Cheers matey, that's really interesting. I used a 5rl. Next time i do some i'll go smaller. :lol:

my stealth rotary with a 3rl seems pretty good for this kind of thing , I have coil machines but this is the best use iv found for my stealth apart from lining on fleshy areas

pics soon guys , adios