Rhemsis

A New Needle For Every Color?

Still pretty new to all of this, and since I couldn't find this anywhere else on the internet, I came to the place that was most helpful to me so far.

As I was practicing tattooing, I realized that whenever I wanted to change colors I have to either go and wash off my needle and tip, or have to dip it in water and run the machine into a paper towel to rid it of excess ink on the needle.

This made me wonder, when you are tattooing a human, do you need to use a new needle for every new color? If so what do you do with the needles when you are not using them so they are not contaminated? If you do not need to use a new needle for every color, what is the process of cleaning the needle while tattooing a live subject?

Thanks in advance.

lol - no not a new needle -

when colouring you start with the darkest colour first - when it comes to changing colour - i have 2 polystyrene cups of water - dip the tip and let the machine run the ink out, when it is al out place it in the next cup of water and run again - llow all the water to run out before loading with the ext colour - you can also spray a little alcohol through the hole in the tip to get any excess ink out

dont wipe the needle with paper towel - this can get stuck in the needle grouping and then go into skin causing infection - if you do wipe down the tip with paper towel - wipe away from the tip

• Upvote 1

also, tissue stuck on the needle with fuckup the cleanliness of your lines. fatter, less crisp lines (and not the good kind either)

Still pretty new to all of this, and since I couldn't find this anywhere else on the internet, I came to the place that was most helpful to me so far.

As I was practicing tattooing, I realized that whenever I wanted to change colors I have to either go and wash off my needle and tip, or have to dip it in water and run the machine into a paper towel to rid it of excess ink on the needle.

This made me wonder, when you are tattooing a human, do you need to use a new needle for every new color? If so what do you do with the needles when you are not using them so they are not contaminated? If you do not need to use a new needle for every color, what is the process of cleaning the needle while tattooing a live subject?

Thanks in advance.

You keep your unused, sterile needles in their blister packs filed away in a drawer or safe place where they won't get bumped around or bent. You throw your used needles into a sharps container after tattooing and even if you don't tattoo with it, as once a needle is unwrapped it must be used right away, or it's cleanliness is compromised. B)

Like ink-sink said just make sure you get all of the other color washed out first and your good to go.The only time i switch to a new needle is if i'm going to put white or light yellow in,then i will use a new needle and disposable tube because they are so light that even the slightest bit of any other color left behind will change white.

:) wash the needles in between colours, there's no need to change em every time.

We place a shot-glass or three of water in an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner and fill the basin of the cleaner with water to the same level (roughly) as the water in the shot-glasses.

This is particularly good for cleaning out chunks of skin as well as the inks. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Devo

:) wash the needles in between colours, there's no need to change em every time.

We place a shot-glass or three of water in an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner and fill the basin of the cleaner with water to the same level (roughly) as the water in the shot-glasses.

This is particularly good for cleaning out chunks of skin as well as the inks. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Devo

this is the method i use and found that it works the best, but instead of shot glasses, which im sure work just as well just never used them, i found little 6 ounce stainless steel cups that work pretty well. but just dipping your running machine in a glass of water should be just fine unless your making drastic color changes as B.m. mentioned, then just use alcohol and run the machine backword across a towel.

hell yeah steal25, a cup of water will do just fine. I like to be spoilt though, hence the ultrasonic :) Makes it easy eh

....jeez ... I forgot to mention, the shot-glasses are actually plastic ones that cost about ten dollars a thousand ( slight exagerration there lol ) and we throw them out after each use.

if you hold your grip against the side of the cup while cleaning out in the water, the vibrations from the machine will act make that cup of water like act like an ultrasonic.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, and answers. I really appreciate it. I saw some cheap ultrasonic cleaning machine on ebay for around $6, Obviously this is a cheapish knockoff, but does anyone have any experiences with something like that? From all the above posts the Ultrasonic cleaner sounded the most user friendly, and effective.

Thanks again!

Hi Rhemsis

We have 2 of the Ultrasonics because there are two of us... make sense doesn't it? hahaha

Both of them would be considered to be cheap-arse and both work extremely well for the purpose of cleaning off ink and little bits of flesh. One of em ( the one the little missus uses ) is battery operated. Geez for $6 you couldn't go too far wrong could ya? Give it a go :) We paid about $25 for the little one and about $80 for the bigger one. Oh yeah, you can clean your jewellery in em in between tattooing too, a real bonus for the girls apparently.

I wouldn't use them to pre-sterilise metal parts before autoclaving, I would get a bigger version, a big boofy one that rolls it's own cigarettes and swears a lot.... and they cost a bit more too.

Horses for courses

Kind Regards

Devo