Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Tez

How Do You Clean Your Tattoos While Doing Them?

A hell of a lot of prep goes into doing a clean tattoo- bleaching surfaces to kill viruses and germs, using disposable tips grips and needles to avoid contamination, using clean ink and inkholders for the same reason, wearing gloves to protect both you and the customer ect.

but how do you wipe your tattoos while doing them? im probably missing a trick but it seems the thing that touches the tattoo most is the kitchen towel or cloth you use to wipe the tattoo, and if that kitchen towel has been sitting in the open exposed to bacteria its going to be one hell of a contaminant if you rub it all over a tat.

what do you guys use?

A hell of a lot of prep goes into doing a clean tattoo- bleaching surfaces to kill viruses and germs, using disposable tips grips and needles to avoid contamination, using clean ink and inkholders for the same reason, wearing gloves to protect both you and the customer ect.

but how do you wipe your tattoos while doing them? im probably missing a trick but it seems the thing that touches the tattoo most is the kitchen towel or cloth you use to wipe the tattoo, and if that kitchen towel has been sitting in the open exposed to bacteria its going to be one hell of a contaminant if you rub it all over a tat.

what do you guys use?

Wow........seriously?

Wipe it with dry paper towel as you do it but every so often when it gets a bit messy looking a little bit of anti-bacterial 'pump' type soap mixed with water in either a spray bottle or a squeeze pump irrigation bottle , dont spray directly onto the tat as thats asking to blow all sorts of shit/bacteria into the air, spray it onto the towel THEN wipe. On a decent tat you should use a fair amount of towel & for the low price just use a new roll.

If your actually handling the roll to tear some off, then chances are whatever contaminants you or your client have, WILL get on the roll ( look and see if there is any ink around the open end ,that will give you an idea how dirty this tattooing business can get!) New roll every time is the safest way IMO unless you know exactly how many sheets you are gonna use and rip them of during your pre-tat set-up. Hope this made sense. Mac..

KITCHEN TOWEL?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK

Im gonna pull a JD here

LOL^^^^^^^ damp paper towel,and occoaisonly watered down green soap when it gets to messy

keep it lubed good and most ink will wipe off

Edited by strick9

New roll every time is the safest way IMO unless you know exactly how many sheets you are gonna use

You dont need to know how many youll use .......just rip a bunch off ......if you start to run low take a break a rip off a bunch more, you should never be touching a roll with soiled hands at all keep the roll far away from your tattooing area

.......and stay the hell away from kitchen towels and wash cloths for christ sake

BTW check out JD's BBP links .....please

take a roll and tear off a pile of sheets and place them in a pile before starting any piece - do this as part of your setup

using either a spray bottle (do not spray diresct to skin) or a squeeze bottle - wet it and then wipe the area - you can use diluted water or a little anti-bacterial soap diluted down

over here theres some savlon in a spray bottle available from the pound shop wich is good?

I'm pretty sure kitchen towel is just another word for kitchen paper, or paper towels...

If i'm wrong, then yeah, read up.

yeah i call kitchen roll/paper

kitchen towel - i dont think he meant cotton kitchen towel? but i could be wrong

KITCHEN TOWEL?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK

Im english "kitchen towel" means paper towel not an actual towel from the kitchen

Im not asking "how do you clean a tat", im asking "how do you clean a tat without contaminating it"

Are you serious?

No I was only joking.................of course I was serious!, the guy asked a question & I answered it.We all started somewhere & if youve ever done pigskin when starting out im sure you just grabbed a roll of kitchen towel/roll/paper ( as opposed to a dish drying towel that I think some of you were thinking) at around $3 for 2 rolls its a cheap consumable item and I also said it was IN MY OPINION. I dont know if purplethumb actually read all of my post or just took out the bits he wanted to have a dig at, but I did say """"If your actually handling the roll to tear some off, then chances are whatever contaminants you or your client have, WILL get on the roll ( look and see if there is any ink around the open end ,that will give you an idea how dirty this tattooing business can get!) New roll every time is the safest way IMO unless you know exactly how many sheets you are gonna use and rip them of during your pre-tat set-up. Hope this made sense. Mac.."""

i take like 10 sheets off a roll and rip em in half and put a lil pile on my table to use. i also use a squeeze bottle (nalgene wash bottle) and give the towels a lil squirt before using em, if i need more i stop, take off my gloves, wash hands and make a new pile, the idea of needing to know exactly how many i need dont compute to me, its no differant than getting another ink cup or switching machines or tubes and needles.once a roll gets low i just use em for cleaning up my work area

No I was only joking.................of course I was serious!, the guy asked a question & I answered it.We all started somewhere & if youve ever done pigskin when starting out im sure you just grabbed a roll of kitchen towel/roll/paper ( as opposed to a dish drying towel that I think some of you were thinking) at around $3 for 2 rolls its a cheap consumable item and I also said it was IN MY OPINION. I dont know if purplethumb actually read all of my post or just took out the bits he wanted to have a dig at, but I did say """"If your actually handling the roll to tear some off, then chances are whatever contaminants you or your client have, WILL get on the roll ( look and see if there is any ink around the open end ,that will give you an idea how dirty this tattooing business can get!) New roll every time is the safest way IMO unless you know exactly how many sheets you are gonna use and rip them of during your pre-tat set-up. Hope this made sense. Mac.."""

I was shocked that you said use a whole roll per tattoo, nothing more nothing less!

When I was tattooing out of my house I used to use a lot of white paper towels per tattoo, now that im in a shop I use 1 blue shop paper towel for almost the entire tattoo. They hold up well dont, tear or get weak, I use a single one till its almost completely black(almost 2 hours into tattoo). Plus once you get your machines running smooth, and dipping the tip properly and all that stuff, there wont be so much ink splatter or much of a mess to wipe.

I was shocked that you said use a whole roll per tattoo, nothing more nothing less!

When I was tattooing out of my house I used to use a lot of white paper towels per tattoo, now that im in a shop I use 1 blue shop paper towel for almost the entire tattoo. They hold up well dont, tear or get weak, I use a single one till its almost completely black(almost 2 hours into tattoo). Plus once you get your machines running smooth, and dipping the tip properly and all that stuff, there wont be so much ink splatter or much of a mess to wipe.

now are you talking about a all black tattoo? because i could see that but i always changed towels with every color. ive only done one in the last year tho, lots of troubles going on (deaths, births and breakups and all) now im actually building my own flat in a garage and and will have lots of free time soon

Use one of these or threse.

The ratchet action means you can tear one sheet at a time without ever contaminating the roll. They look good too.

/edit

oh and if you're in the UK, I got mine from Lakeland.

Edited by Detty

why waist paper towels ....

this is what i do at the shop ... almost all the time im continueously folding paper towels ... i rip them all off the roll then fold them 2 times ( into 4ths ) and then stack then in a start like pattern .. 1 straight 1 at an angle 1 straight 1 angle ... so 1 i dont need to use a whole roll and 2 were not cont6aminating anything else ... i just pull out a stack and whatevers left i throw away ( if u happen to run out deglove real quick n pull out another stack )... the zig zag stacking helps you only pick up 1 towel not more ...

anyways just what i do ... it makes life so much easyer

yes i spend a lot of time folding hahahah ...

edit: ooohh n about cleaning i personally use distilled water with about 2-3 table spoons of green soap for a little extra kick

Edited by The Nerd

Use one of these or threse.

The ratchet action means you can tear one sheet at a time without ever contaminating the roll. They look good too.

the issue i see with those are that the whole roll has to be next to your work station, one errant drop of splatter can contaminate the whole roll as is soaks in

why waist paper towels ....

i just pull out a stack and whatevers left i throw away

You just said why waste paper towels, then you say you throw away whatevers left? That seems like a lot of waste, I mean I know why you do it, its caused you contaminated whatevers left. But still there are simpler ways.

Anyway this is such a simple topic, everyone with any smarts should know how not to contamante a roll of paper towels.

pimpenstein- yes even for color, same blue paper towel and multiple colors. Are you worried about wiping in another color off your paper towel?

the issue i see with those are that the whole roll has to be next to your work station, one errant drop of splatter can contaminate the whole roll as is soaks in

I keep mine behind me and turn around whenever I need a new sheet. Never had an issue.

yeah i was always told to work dark to light so you dont smear red into your yellow or whatnot

True, but ive never had ink come off the paper towel and imbed itself into the tattoo, I dont wipe that hard, haha, plus the paper towel is pretty moist. Then again I hardly ever do color, but when I did I just used one. Ill take a pic of my station tonight, and a pic of my soiled paper towel, haha (before and after).

haha well to each their own . i only use half a sheet of plain white paper towels "viva" i think and i keep em pretty moist, after about 30min they are all scrunched and beaten so i just toss em