Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dRock13

Oxidization

I think cleaning it thoroughly with alcohol wipes once a week would remedy that.

I think cleaning it thoroughly with alcohol wipes once a week would remedy that.

nope that only aids the rusting process

i got a few machines that i regularly use that always have a light surface coating of rust on the a bar and regularly need sorting

nope that only aids the rusting process

i got a few machines that i regularly use that always have a light surface coating of rust on the a bar and regularly need sorting

Hmmm

I'm the nearest to the beach around here,

I know just what you mean.

I just touch a microscopic amount of wd40 on,

after they're cleaned with alcohol

only the iron parts, and store them in a case

in the hot water cupboard.

Would a light spray of gun oil after cleaning help?

trouble is,

dust sticks to oil.

an excess would be bad.

I have a similar problem where I am...the atmosphere on the peninsular is quite corrosive.Has anyone tried using a Cure Rust type product that deliberatly and uniformly oxidises the surface of ferrous metals and forms a protective layer?Or gun browning,blueing or Parkerizing...with one of the many gun finishing solutions?Or would this not be appropriate for some reason?

keep it in an airtight case when your not using it, even if it was made from 316 grade stainless steel it would still rust eventually but stainless isnt magnetic I hear you say, well there are some grades available which ARE magnetic(think st/st fridges and the magnetic strip that keeps them shut)470 and the newer 404 which is magnetic and has similar properties to the more common 304 grade. the other alternative if it is a big worry for ya would be to get it highly polished as its in the tiny crevices in the steel where the salt will sit and start to eat it away. :unsure:

maybe try some sort of silicone spray that dries tack-free but remember the a-bar is connected to the spring which in turn has current passing through it soasf long as the silicone spray doesnt break the circuit you should be ok.

ps the first paragraph is gospel, the second one is a shot in the dark

A gun oil with teflon in it will work the best, or if you can get it gun wax. As said before oil attracts dust so you will have to wipe it down very good. The teflon will eventually adhere to the surface and help protect it better.

i have the same problems, dont touch them with your bare hands, if you do clean them down with alcahol afterwards the oils on the surface of your hands will cause rust wear gloves when handling them or be prepared to have to wipe em down with the alc, i also store mine in a case with some of the moisture reducer packets of silcon, not sure if they do anything but just thrown them in there.

wow thanks for the replies guys...

shocker-my one machine had a patina finish on it and i didnt really like since ive been giving them a make over...id prob consider parkerizing or bluing it but im on a tight budget and hear the DIY kits suck and dont last long

i think im gonna hit it with a torch to put some color in it...the springs i made i was able to get a nice blue to in the oven same with an arm bar i had..prob just torch those too...i plan on polishing them down too so it will bring the color out more

afterwards spraying a few clear coats of lacquer on the frame would work right? and stop the rust problem ...but that leaves the springs and arm bars still and i wouldnt imagine clearcoat would stay on those...maybe the silicone spray or gun wax...would that affect the heat treatment?