emcee2

Plz Help, Back Springs On Two Machines By Checkmate Keep Breaking

i just purchased two machines from checkmate, a liner and a shader, they both run great but the back springs keep breaking! they have broken on both machines twice now and they seem to break within 4-6 hours of use. the liner runs at 130hz loaded and the shader at 115hz, 160 and 130 unloaded. I was hoping somebody might have some suggestion so i dont throw $500 down the drain! the both seem to break right at the corner of the spring shelf but i also had one break about half way up.. here what they look like broke and not broken....5492_242383765117_623005117_7978045_2267243_n.jpg5852_255751735117_623005117_8285517_6796794_n.jpg

heres two more pictures one frome the side view and one of where the spring broke half way up...5852_255774050117_623005117_8285928_6259865_n.jpg5852_255774055117_623005117_8285929_5768206_n.jpg

im having a wiled uneducated guess , sorta kinda think its...

that square washer ? .......

edit:..... let me know if it is

Edited by Teo

The square washer,a.k.a saddle clamp,shouldnt cause that...in fact its generally thought to be a beneficial piece of kit....it did break right there though....but I defer to those better qualified!

I would have thought trimming the front spring to the curve of the washer,or using a square washer,might help...wouldnt explain the break point though...??? :(:D

Edited by shocker

nothing wrong with the front spring

are you heavy handed i am and i have had a few break (not checkmates) i think over tightening the screws may cause this,

maybe just a suggestion

pmed ya THE solution

Mark101,

Any reason not to share the solution for the group's benefit?

Mark101,

Any reason not to share the solution for the group's benefit?

most of the builders here will know the problem, lets see if a none builder can tell us the solution

why dont you have first try?, thsi could be a good way of learning :(

EDIT: PM Removed

hey mark are you talking about the square spring clamp? if so it did come with the beveled edge facing forward and it was flush with the spring shelf, i just turned it to try something different, and it did do something different, instead of break at the corner of the spring deck it broke halfway up... i contacted checkmate and he sent me four replacement springs, and ive used them all up in a matter of a week... just looking to have a permanent solution so i dont have to retun them, and no i dont have a heavy hand, these are the only machines out of six that ive ever had this happen to. maybe markt4lyf, forgiven or buzz mighthave some input?

the edges of the clamp and the spring deck look very sharp i would

take a file and remove the sharp edge from the spring deck and from the clamp (round them off with a small file)

and yes mark 101 is right in the fact that the overhanging spring clamp would cause the spring to snap

ill try filing down the corner of one of the machines and let you guys know how it goes, i just didnt wanna mess with it incase i wanted to return it. was hoping there was some other solution.

ill try filing down the corner of one of the machines and let you guys know how it goes, i just didnt wanna mess with it incase i wanted to return it. was hoping there was some other solution.

just go easy, ya cant do any arm, when its done re spring it and hang it running for an hour or two

loaded if ya like if it stays i think the problem could be solved

most of the builders here will know the problem, lets see if a none builder can tell us the solution

why dont you have first try?, thsi could be a good way of learning :D

If I had to make a guess it would be based on excessive movement of the rear spring. I would say maybe the armature bar making contact with the rear coil causing a double flexing of the rear spring. Possibly running the machine to hard with a very wide gap. Of course these would be guesses.

good guesses, but the armature bar dosent touch the back coils and i run them at 5.5-6.5 volts

i would go with the sharp edges that coupled with the over hang on that rear spring clamp, i would try running it with out the spring clamp first and see if you get any breakages, chackmate makes a hell of a nice machine i love the one ive got off him

yes he does, best running machines ive used, too bad im having this problem on both of them. can you post som pics of yours paint?

yes he does, best running machines ive used, too bad im having this problem on both of them. can you post som pics of yours paint?

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

a no nonsence liner, never broken a spring definetly my favourite liner.

well.....im stumped....im still hanging on to my first thoughts on the the square washer , as its over hanging slightly , wouldnt that cause undue pressure on the back spring ?

Got me.....coils need shimming?Angle of spring deck calls for front edge to bevelled?But surely the builder would have took care of those?I dunno....clutching at straws :D:)

you have bother with those purple unimax's too paint? ;)

ha ha yeah ya noticed that huh, i have to grind em in there

i would venture to guess its because the spring saddle is not flush with the deck like it over hangs which i would imagine would stress the spring and maybe be a little raspy? the liner never broke a spring and doesnt have the saddle hanging out