Sign in to follow this  
yorkshire paul

Swashdrive Or Stigma

ive decided to try either a swashdrive gen 6 or one of the stigma rotarys but would like feedback on the machines before i part with my hard earned...any one used them or know anyone that does..cheers

i know an artist who uses nothing but stgma rotarys, and he swears by them , but he has used rotary machines

for 14 years

I've got a Hyper. It uses the same swashplate system a Swashdrive machine does. but I think the Swashdrive is a little more picky on powersupplies.

I love it, but have been having some problems with my current needles... got some experiments to do with it.

pop over and see how it runs if you like Paul.

G'Day Bloke

Both myself and Gail have been using Swashdrive gen 4 for two years now and the only thing we'd replace them with is the gen 6 model ! They are awesome. Yes a good power supply is needed but hell, for no noise, no fiddly adjustments and for using them all day, you can't go past a swashie and why not have a good power supply anyway?

They are also heaps gentler on the skin and leave less trauma and scarring. It's as simple as 'plug and play', and next time you go to use it, it will behave exactly the same as the last time you used it ;)

We've just discovered textured needles as well, so combine them with the swashie and watch the colour go in :)

Instead of a liner (that always seems to need something tuned) and a shader (that always seems to need something tuned), a cloour-packer(that always seems to need something tuned), one machine does the lot from between 1.2 volts and 2.1 volts.

They are like drawing with a pencil especially if you use disposable tubes, tips and grips like we do. After tattooing for 5 hours there is no aching hands and wrists as we used to experience with the 'traditional' machines ....

These opinions are personal only and it's been my experience. Some people like to fiddle with their machines and like the noise and the weight of the traditional stuff !!! Me? I like to spend my time creating a good tattoo !

Kind Regards

Devo

Only had my Gen 6 Swashdrive for a week but I'm already in love.

It was recommended to me by 2 artist friends that now swear by them and use nothing else.

In the case of one of them, he's been tattooing for 30 years with coil machines and now has 3 Swashdrives and has sold all his other machines.

In the short time I've had mine a couple of things stand out.

Devo has already hit on the ease of use and reduced skin trauma.

I was immediately impressed with the quality of workmanship and simplicity and efficiency of the design.

I've tried a few other Rotaries in the past including a Jackhammer ( cheap copy of an earlier Swashdrive) and the Gen 6 Stands Head and Shoulders above the rest.

Swashdrives Rule. ;)

Ive been thinking about saving for a stigma rotary. I have had a stealth rotary for a while and i'm pretty happy with it for lining but one thing that puts me off about the stealth is that there is no give I.E -it won't stop against skin as theres no suspension if that makes any sense .

by the sound of it you guys seem to love them so they must be pretty good .one thing is confusing me slightly on their website though .In the FAQ it say this as a question :-

"How do I adjust the stroke-length (hub) ?

On the “Bizarre” the stroke-length ( hub ) changes automatically in combination with the softness ( give ) adjustment feature.

When adjusted for lining you get shorter but stronger stroke ( minimum 3,5 mm ).

When adjusted for shading you get longer but softer stroke ( maximum 5 mm ). "

:) arent the depths described a bit deep to go? ,that could really F somebody up .can anybody

un-confuse me on this

Ive been thinking about saving for a stigma rotary. I have had a stealth rotary for a while and i'm pretty happy with it for lining but one thing that puts me off about the stealth is that there is no give I.E -it won't stop against skin as theres no suspension if that makes any sense .

by the sound of it you guys seem to love them so they must be pretty good .one thing is confusing me slightly on their website though .In the FAQ it say this as a question :-

On the “Bizarre” the stroke-length ( hub ) changes automatically in combination with the softness ( give ) adjustment feature.

When adjusted for lining you get shorter but stronger stroke ( minimum 3,5 mm ).

:) arent the depths described a bit deep to go? ,that could really F somebody up .can anybody

un-confuse me on this

its not talking about depth its talking about stroke, 2 seperate things.

I forgot to mention earlier ... the swashie doesn't behave like other rotories either, it doesn't have a noticable sideways movement especially at the top of the needle-bar.

I loaned one of mine to a shop recently for them to play with for a coupla days. 2 out of the 3 pro's loved em, the other bloke will hang on to his traditional machines until Satan prises it from his long-dead hands .... nothing will convince that feller ... lol ... but that is his opinion and I respect that.

I was really lucky to have stumbled across mine at the early stage of setting up. I couldn't get my Chinese ebay machines to behave without constantly tweaking this and that. And I couldn't get my head around all the available trad machines and all the different combos needed to get the bloody things to work. I just wanted to tattoo, not stuff araound lol, as I said before. I saw them on the net and thought 'bugger it, they're only down thw road 4 hours, I'll go check em out' ... like I said, lucky me! The bloke there (that sells them) was using them and everybody else in the studio was using them and I could hear the music not the machines. The bloke was using a 23 curved mag and the ink was just falling in. That did me, got the credit card out and haven't looked back!

I don't sell these machines by the way!!! I believe in sharing information and if a good product comes along, why not share the info?

I don't get why everyone isn't using them lol

Kind Regards

Devo

:P arent the depths described a bit deep to go? ,that could really F somebody up .can anybody

un-confuse me on this

just like a coil machine, it's you who controls the depth by your tube setup or how deep you ride the needle :)

.... if you order it from the Australian site it should only take 5 to 10 days max to get to you :)

So I know you can adjust depth and speed of the swashdrive. I also know that the Stigma hyper has an additional adjustment for "Give". Does the Swashdrive 6 have any sort of adjustment? If not how do you do shades comparable to a coil machine?

Just looked at both... I would totally rock either but most likely the stigma hyper or bizzare.... to bad they cost an arm and a leg lol

I hope the customs don't sting ya mate!!! Best to check that out first I suppose .... does the customs thing still happen lol ?

Ah, as far as shading and colourpacking goes, I just turn down the volts on the swashie and it seems to work itself out ;)