Swelling

- - - - -

7 replies to this topic

warimp

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
I have searched for this topic and cannot find it. I think it's important. There is alot of info on infection but nothing on swelling. I gave myself a cover up on the lower ankle. the next day my ankle and foot was so swollen, double the size. this didnt happen the first time but the cover up is alot larger. I kinda freeked out and thought i had an infection and thought i was headed for the doc. but it wasent infected, just swollen, I had no redness or oozing of anykind and no heat/fever. I did alot of research and to what i can find is the ankle and wrist/hand can get swollen from the tissue trauma of a tattoo. about three days and the swelling disapeared.
My friend has extensive work on his legs and he said he sometimes even gets pins and needles feeling for a few days after. I'd like some opinions.is swelling and or pins and needles a common reaction? of course not in all cases.as i said it only happened to me the one time.but it was scary :blink:

L0b0

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 49 posts
When you tattoo legs, ankles whateva you should allways keep tattooed area above your heart, then there will be no swelling at all or very minimun.

If you tattoo yourself then it is ofcourse impossible, but if you tattoo someone else, make sure you lay him/her down and raise leg above heart when you tattoo.

Peace..

TattooTy

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Basically the further away from the heart (source of blood so to speak) The more risk of swelling and "pins and needles" feeling. It's just that blood doesn't flow as easily the further from the heart the area is.

I hope i explained that easily enough.

Edit: also everyone is different so don't think there's a set guideline for this.

Edited by TattooTy, 23 June 2009 - 07:34 AM.

Ratsnest

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
lower leg tattoos are prone to swelling ... i tell my clients to keep it elevated, use an ice pack and Ibprofin helps as well...to reduce swelling
Rat

xxMorticiaxx

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had a small kanji symbol put on my left ankle and the next day it was swollen, bruised, and it throbbed like crazy! A few weeks later, I had the same artist tattoo a piece on the other ankle that went from the top of my foot, around both sides of my ankle, and partially up the side of my leg and all that did was get a little bit red and slightly swollen. After what happened with the other ankle, i was expecting to be on crutches the next day lol. But I wasn't...crazy!

Moeru

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 33 posts
I think it must have something to do with the sensitivity of the skin as well. I did a small piece on my upper thigh and there was no swelling at all. It was tingly and tender for several hours afterward, but no swelling. Later I did a bigger piece on the side of my knee (not on the kneecap, but on the flat part of the side of the knee) and the lines swelled up like an evil marshmallow. It puffed up IMMEDIATELY, like within 10 minutes of laying down a line. It was so tender and puffy I couldn't do the shading that day. When I finally did the color, very little swelling. It's like the liner needle irritated it more than anything.

Today I did a series of small shapes (sea angels, actually..haha) on that same leg, running from the knee to about halfway up my thigh. The ones on my thigh all swelled up like mad, especially the one highest up. Why??
The swelling was immediate and pretty intense, then settled down in about 5 hours and is now very pink all around the new ink. It's been washed and is clean and healthy.

I don't know what to tell you except I think everyone's skin is different, and different parts are more reactive. I'm sure the circulation thing has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't explain 100% why the lower tattoo did NOT swell and the highest one DID. what the hell, right...

PAINT

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
thought id drag this back up rather then start my own thread, i did a tattoo on a girls wrist the other day, some simple script "paige Ashliegh" and the date of birth, all up only took me 30 mins, after finishing the first word you could clearly see it had swelled up, never had any issues getting ink in or anything everything went sweet so i know it wasnt my technique. she txt me last nite said it had bruised up quite bad to :rolleyes: ive done a few wrists and never had this problem, ive told her to put some ice on it if she wants but genrally not to worry to much about it, am i right to think its just her skin type?, easyily bruised and what not, and no i didnt have her wrist above her heart.

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

Moeru

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 33 posts

PAINT, on Jun 29 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

thought id drag this back up rather then start my own thread, i did a tattoo on a girls wrist the other day, some simple script "paige Ashliegh" and the date of birth, all up only took me 30 mins, after finishing the first word you could clearly see it had swelled up, never had any issues getting ink in or anything everything went sweet so i know it wasnt my technique. she txt me last nite said it had bruised up quite bad to :rolleyes: ive done a few wrists and never had this problem, ive told her to put some ice on it if she wants but genrally not to worry to much about it, am i right to think its just her skin type?, easyily bruised and what not, and no i didnt have her wrist above her heart.

I'm leaning toward it being her skin and her personal sensitivity. My friend got an ankle tattoo that swelled up pretty quickly, and she admitted she usually has pretty sensitive skin. The one I told you about in the post up there ^ about swelling up on my thigh, has bruised up a bit, same with the one on my knee, but the calf one gave me no trouble at all. However it's feeling good today, no itching or aching or twinge or anything.
I'm gonna go with it's hard to predict, there are general trends sure, like lower leg tattoos, but maybe people with softer or chemical-sensitive or injury-sensitive skin swell up more. If you get a scratch or papercut and it swells up, I'm sure it'd do the same with tattoos. I guess it's just an immune system response.