Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dances With Fish

Spider Veins?

An older woman asked me to put a tattoo by her ankle. I noticed that she has a small spider vein in that area. Can you tattoo over them?

An older woman asked me to put a tattoo by her ankle. I noticed that she has a small spider vein in that area. Can you tattoo over them?

Bump. Can you? Or would you stay clear of them?

I know this; arteries flow away from the heart and hold a lot of blood pressure which is why it's such a mortal would when they're punctured. But veins return blood back to the heart to re-oxidize. Not a lot of pressure there.

Anyone?

Guest OzzieMate

i completely shattered my right ankle a few years ago and had to have all sorts of plates and pins in the ankle.... i know have a massive scaring and fucked up skin from all the strecthed skin when it happened. i had a peice out over it to cover it all up. didnt have a problem at all (and they were right at the skins surface....)

dont know about older peoples skin due the the lack of elastisity (sp?) but i had no probs in the past...

Bump. Can you? Or would you stay clear of them?

I know this; arteries flow away from the heart and hold a lot of blood pressure which is why it's such a mortal would when they're punctured. But veins return blood back to the heart to re-oxidize. Not a lot of pressure there.

Anyone?

your not going deep enough to hit a vein, look at your wrist you can see your vein and looks like youd puncture them but you dont, not sure what a spider vein is but im sure all the veins are well under then skin and wouldnt be a problem at the depth we go.

Guest OzzieMate
your not going deep enough to hit a vein, look at your wrist you can see your vein and looks like youd puncture them but you dont, not sure what a spider vein is but im sure all the veins are well under then skin and wouldnt be a problem at the depth we go.

spider veins are those little mini blue'ish ones that (mostly older people or people with severe damage to there skin has) kinda sit right under the surface (two or three layers) of the skin..

looks at ya nanna or pop's legs if ya wanna check out what they are :lol:

but usually there too small and damaged to actually bleed out... .. that is if ya unlucky enough to catch one... even then they wont bleed out any more than someones who's been drinking or on pain killers....

edit: i think they might be called capilaries ??

Edited by OzzieMate

A spider vein is raised up from the normal smooth level of skin. I'm sure you've seen them before. They're kinda blueish purple and squiggly? You bring up a good point with the skin still being the same thickness regardless of what we think we see. Thanks.

edit: i think they might be called capilaries ??

Now that you mention it, yeah, I think they're burst capillaries. Capillaries are the very ends of arteries, I think.

Guest OzzieMate

my friends from wikipedia :lol:

Capillaries are defined as the tiny blood vessels which are situated between the arteries and veins. The function of the capillaries is to distribute blood which is rich in oxygen to all the cells of the body.

The capillaries connect the arteries to the veins. Apart from oxygen-rich bloody, they also supply oxygen and essential nutrients to the tissues in the body at a cellular level. They are shaped like hair and are of a similar thickness as hair as well. Some of these vessels, in fact, do carry oxygen and nutrients to the hair growth matrix as well. The tiny cells are arranged in an intricate mesh-like network close to the skins surface.. They transport oxygen into the bloodstream.

my friends from wikipedia :lol:

Capillaries are defined as the tiny blood vessels which are situated between the arteries and veins. The function of the capillaries is to distribute blood which is rich in oxygen to all the cells of the body.

The capillaries connect the arteries to the veins. Apart from oxygen-rich bloody, they also supply oxygen and essential nutrients to the tissues in the body at a cellular level. They are shaped like hair and are of a similar thickness as hair as well. Some of these vessels, in fact, do carry oxygen and nutrients to the hair growth matrix as well. The tiny cells are arranged in an intricate mesh-like network close to the skins surface.. They transport oxygen into the bloodstream.

;)

meh i wouldnt worry about them, i dont have experience in them but i very much doubt they would be a problem.

Guest OzzieMate
sounds more like varicose veins than spider veins to me.....

lol, thats the word i been looking for .... :lol: there those things the old people get .

i found one on my leg the other day when i shaved it for a tattoo, and im only 25!!! pretty tiny thoe.

i found one on my leg the other day when i shaved it for a tattoo, and im only 25!!! pretty tiny thoe.

I've been bartending and waiting tables for almost 14 years now. You should see MY legs. That's why I bumped the post in the first place. :lol:

Guest OzzieMate
I've been bartending and waiting tables for almost 14 years now. You should see MY legs. That's why I bumped the post in the first place. ;)

:lol: sorry dude but y gotta laugh

Guest OzzieMate

thats what i did on my smashed ankle, could never tell now. (:( cept for the pain i get lol)

grabbed this pic off a Sclerotherapy web site...

do you mean like this type? definitely different to varicose viens.

I'm not to sure about going over them... I've never come across it yet, I'd be worried that tattooing near on on them would promote more of them just by traumatising that area of skin! :-P

.. but that's just because I am always over cautious!

but saying that one of these lovely guys and gals that know more may be able to shed some light on it and it may be perfectly safe to do :-)

some people may be happy to risk it just to have them covered up.

post-523-1229500697_thumb.jpg