outline needle size?

- - - - -

4 replies to this topic

redpearl

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just wanted to ask you guys how you decide what needle grouping to use for outlining on what size tattoo? What i'm finding is that i'm being a bit overly conservative and going too small for the piece because im a little nervous of having too heavy a line. Problem is with a skinny outline and a lack of experience thickening up can be a pretty stressful event...
I suppose it's like a golfer selecting which club to use. lol

i'm doing great on shading and coloring and have a pretty good idea of what needles to use for what effects and where etc...its just this damn lining hoodoo...i need to get some confidence with thicker lines.

Below The Skin

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
Hi there i mainly use 5rl or 7rl for most of my work, i go to 3rl if im doing hairs and small details.
When the designs are chosen with care, tattoos have a power and magic all their own.  They decorate the body but they also enhance the soul.

shortyrock

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
go w 5 or 7. then move up . anything larger your going to need to change your technique and or speed or force of machine . 5s decent and good enough to use on damn near anything.
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."
- ST.thomas aquines

Guest_HallowsVictim_*

• Guests
I only use 5rl and 8rl and I just decide by what I think will look best with the design, size of the tattoo, size of the area being tattooed.

Alvin

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
Why dont you just run a series of lines & curves on a practice skin with different size needles.

That way you've got a reference on hand to decide what needles to use. I'd go with 3, 5 & 7's, oh & don't bother lining with 1 liners!!
"In this truck is a man whose latent genius, if unleashed, would rock the nation, whose dynamic energy would overpower those around him. Better let him sleep?"