Bending Springs

- - - - -

12 replies to this topic

nigelw

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi everyone again i was just wondering when i put on new springs should i try to bend them a little so they bounce better or should i just be leaving them alone ? does the bend matter to the front and the back or neither? thanks

PAINT

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
ummmmm... if i was you i would do some reading as to what the springs do and what bending them will do, its important to have the right amount of tension but even more important to know why you need that tension.

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

Clue

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
so is anyone gonna answer this one?

i think the serious questions like this should be posted in the shop talk section of the members only
We dont make mistakes in tattooing, only happy lil accidents...

PAINT

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

View PostClue, on Jan 30 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

so is anyone gonna answer this one?

i think the serious questions like this should be posted in the shop talk section of the members only

its hard to answer, yes you bend your springs, the amount to bend them all depends on what you want your machine to do and your frame geometry, its not a simple one to answer, its the kind of thing you learn by playing around and learning what exactly happens to your machines preformance when you add or subtract tension from the springs.

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

ApprenticeTattoo

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I originally saw on Teach Me To Tattoo that the front spring can control the armmature bar recoil - and the rear spring (you want a softer one to make it faster) you will need a slight bend to get some resistance though - depends on the angle of the read of the deck of your frame - and if you are using TRU a-bars or not like from EIKON DEVICE - but there is so much to springs.. in short I would say that you should bend slightly - I have a few machines that I use that I did not have to bend the springs at all - check your air gaps!! Hope this helped some

done here

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
roll them, dont bend them, as for why, do a little research & learn why :D

buzzbrush

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

View PostMARKT4LYF, on Feb 7 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

roll them, dont bend them, as for why, do a little research & learn why :D

here here

mark101

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

View PostApprenticeTattoo, on Feb 7 2009, 02:23 PM, said:

I originally saw on Teach Me To Tattoo that the front spring can control the armmature bar recoil - and the rear spring (you want a softer one to make it faster) you will need a slight bend to get some resistance though - depends on the angle of the read of the deck of your frame - and if you are using TRU a-bars or not like from EIKON DEVICE - but there is so much to springs.. in short I would say that you should bend slightly - I have a few machines that I use that I did not have to bend the springs at all - check your air gaps!! Hope this helped some

teachmetotattooforum lmfao
aint no different to any other forum

AnTiCrAsH

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

View PostApprenticeTattoo, on Feb 7 2009, 04:23 PM, said:

*eye starts twitiching due to all the bad information in that post*

:)

no offense intended but you got a hold of some bad info there.....

just to start with the front spring controls speed and the rear spring controls the duty cycle. BEYOND adjusting the way an a-bar hits the coils - bending (or rolling :) ) your rear spring increases the duty cycle and in most cases the throw....

and that is REALLY just the tip of the iceberg.

There is no "yes you should" or "no you shouldn't" bend your rear spring. It depends on your machine and how you want it set up.

THOUGH TO ME the million dollar question is, if you dont know the answer - then you probably dont even know why you are changing out your springs, so why would you?

tat2tat

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
:) :)
" officially been an asshole since 1985 "

Ink Crow

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

View PostMARKT4LYF, on Feb 7 2009, 10:25 PM, said:

roll them, dont bend them, as for why, do a little research & learn why :lol: