Long time no see.. Read more... ×
DJToOn

Anesthetics?whats Good?

Im Looking into getting some Anesthetics for the "Not Pain Liking Costumers"...so i figure i can help em out a tad bit by getting some pain relivers..i.e...Lidocaine or Benzicaine and all that nice Topical stuff....but i dont know whats best recomended....i see good stuff on KingpinTattoosupply and WWTA2 and so on...but what is good for your money?..super juice 3?Venzocaine?Bactine?...dont kow much bout em....i've only used Bactine on my chest for my Sternum but that was only like a 15min thing...what last long?..any recomendations?

Nothing is good.....just tell them to grin and bare it.

Having said that, I have been reading your posts and in my honest opinion, pain killers are the least of what you need to know....I don't mean to be a dick, but it appears that you are still learning the basics and really should not even be considering inflicting any damage onto another persons body until you have read ALL the posts on this site, especially the ones about CC and BBPs. Most of the essential topics that you really need to read up on are pinned at the top of each forum. Then practice on fruit, pig skins/ears and practice skins, then practice again, and again, and again.

All the questions you have asked, have been posted before, you really do need to slow down, read, read and read....I was the same when I first found the addiction of tattooing, just wanted to get some "guns" and make my mark...but take it from me, it ain't nice when you fuck it up, and some big mean biker dude is threatening to cave your skull in.

Sorry for the rant mate, but as I said, just take it slow.

Nothing is good.....just tell them to grin and bare it.

Having said that, I have been reading your posts and in my honest opinion, pain killers are the least of what you need to know....I don't mean to be a dick, but it appears that you are still learning the basics and really should not even be considering inflicting any damage onto another persons body until you have read ALL the posts on this site, especially the ones about CC and BBPs. Most of the essential topics that you really need to read up on are pinned at the top of each forum. Then practice on fruit, pig skins/ears and practice skins, then practice again, and again, and again.

All the questions you have asked, have been posted before, you really do need to slow down, read, read and read....I was the same when I first found the addiction of tattooing, just wanted to get some "guns" and make my mark...but take it from me, it ain't nice when you fuck it up, and some big mean biker dude is threatening to cave your skull in.

Sorry for the rant mate, but as I said, just take it slow.

totally understand bro...i respect your opinion as one day you might have the answer to one of my questions so no point in getting butt hurt bout your rant..i have been reading....i normally copy the posts into a word document to keep reading it over and over.... .but im just gathering info thats all....lot of these tatt places i've been in and including where i started my apprectiship have these pain killers(anathetics)..i've only had Bactine used om me...so i wanna learn on the other kind...of whats good or not.....i have been doing ink on personel already and so far so good...but everyone has to fail once i know this..but sure as hell wouldnt like to ...so when i do my work and i get "nervous" bout it i come to ask here....and so far i've gotten good stuff out of the experts...and been able to avoid mistakes.....right now im just simply asking for these "friends of mine that can handle a little pain" what anesthetic is good for tattooing purposes?.................thanks a bunch in advance

To answer your question, I don't believe there's much qualitative difference between the various lotions and potions available, and not did this study in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, April 2008ab, this is the abstract:

BACKGROUND: It is not known whether the choice of topical anaesthetic influences the likelihood of successful i.v. cannulation in the paediatric population. The null hypothesis of this study was that no difference exists in the initial success rate of cannulation between two commonly used topical anaesthetics. METHODS: A randomized double-blind trial conducted on patients between the age of 12 months and 12 yr presenting to a tertiary hospital emergency department. Patients requiring cannulation were randomized to either 4% amethocaine gel (AnGEL) or 5% lidocaine and prilocaine in a 1:1 emulsion (EMLA). The primary endpoint was success of initial attempt at i.v. cannulation. RESULTS: One hundred and seventy-seven patients were analysed of 203 enrolled. The success rate of AnGEL (73/97, 75%) and EMLA (59/80, 74%) did not significantly differ (chi2(1) 0.05, P=0.82). CONCLUSIONS: No difference exists in the cannulation success rates between the two anaesthetics. The choice of topical anaesthetic in paediatric cannulation should be based on other factors such as cost, time to anaesthesia, efficacy of the agent, and adverse effect profile.

From memory, I believe that EMLA takes longer to work. Got to say, though, this relates to a one-off invasive procedure on a child; if a grown person can't handle the pain of a tattoo, then maybe they shouldn't be getting one, they don't hurt that much. Well, they do when I'm in charge, but that's a different matter.

To answer your question, I don't believe there's much qualitative difference between the various lotions and potions available, and not did this study in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, April 2008ab, this is the abstract:

BACKGROUND: It is not known whether the choice of topical anaesthetic influences the likelihood of successful i.v. cannulation in the paediatric population. The null hypothesis of this study was that no difference exists in the initial success rate of cannulation between two commonly used topical anaesthetics. METHODS: A randomized double-blind trial conducted on patients between the age of 12 months and 12 yr presenting to a tertiary hospital emergency department. Patients requiring cannulation were randomized to either 4% amethocaine gel (AnGEL) or 5% lidocaine and prilocaine in a 1:1 emulsion (EMLA). The primary endpoint was success of initial attempt at i.v. cannulation. RESULTS: One hundred and seventy-seven patients were analysed of 203 enrolled. The success rate of AnGEL (73/97, 75%) and EMLA (59/80, 74%) did not significantly differ (chi2(1) 0.05, P=0.82). CONCLUSIONS: No difference exists in the cannulation success rates between the two anaesthetics. The choice of topical anaesthetic in paediatric cannulation should be based on other factors such as cost, time to anaesthesia, efficacy of the agent, and adverse effect profile.

From memory, I believe that EMLA takes longer to work. Got to say, though, this relates to a one-off invasive procedure on a child; if a grown person can't handle the pain of a tattoo, then maybe they shouldn't be getting one, they don't hurt that much. Well, they do when I'm in charge, but that's a different matter.

lol...nice.....awsome info.......you right...some of this stuff does vary in price...i got my eye set on some stuff.....Visocaine and Super Juice 3...they both run bout 40 to 50....and its through Kingpin tattoo supply........i just bought some Bactine..i heard good things bout it..so i got 2 bottles from Amazon to ship out here to Afghaniland..cuz i guess its also good preventing infections....which is a good deal....

IMO.. no anesthetic should be used for tatooing.. most of them are for numbing the skin at incision or injection sites.. and probably shouldn't be pushed into the skin like what would happen if they were tattooed over.. aside from that.. lidocaine, benzocaine, and all the other things used in these anesthetics can cause serious allergic reactions.. which is why I think they should be used in a hospital setting only.. and lastly.. pain is the body's way of telling us something is wrong.. and people have thresholds for good reason.. your body shuts down after a certain amount if trauma, and you can't take anymore.. being pushed past your natural pain threshold is not a good thing, and it could cause serious problems. therefore, masking the pain is a terrible idea IMO.

If you can't deal with the pain, you shouldn't get a tattoo.

I wouldnt do it man. Ive read some horror stories about the affects on the final tattoo... not even close to worth it. If they cant handle the pain, they dont need a tattoo.

I wouldnt do it man. Ive read some horror stories about the affects on the final tattoo... not even close to worth it. If they cant handle the pain, they dont need a tattoo.

ok cool beans....im getting the hint...if they cant handle the pain then send them on there marry way...lol...what about Bactine...my tatt artist used it in me when he hit the sternum.....herd good stuff bout it...

Relieves Pain on Contact

Maximum Strength Antiseptic to Kill Germs

No Sting

First Aid Antiseptic/Pain Reliever

first aid to help prevent bacterial contamination or skin infection, and for temporary relief of pain and itching associated with minor:

cuts

scrapes

burns

sunburn

skin irritations

anything on this?

Hmm, not sure about Bactine, one of the warnings is that it shouldn't be used on large areas. I see what you mean if you're likely to be working in less than ideal conditions, but for primary prevention of infection, you've got to observe the basics of hand hygiene, environmental hygiene, sterilisation and rudimentary aseptic procedure. Without that, sprays are ineffective (from infection control point of view) and can actually be a Bad Idea because they tend to make the user over-confident and less scrupulous with their hygiene - i.e. the magic spray saves the day.

As for its anaesthetic effects, well as everyone else has said, they wear off and then have to be reapplied. They're not intended for the tattooing procedure. I found that once I'd got into the rhythm of being inked, the endorphins came in and they're the best kind of pain killer - the ones made by your own body. The body is fucking amazing, really: pain receptors are the only receptors in the body that don't adapt: you get used to a smell, for instance, but you don't get used to pain. BUT you do release endorphins to allow you to bear pain.

Sorry. I'm a science bird.

yea the ones that do work only work when the skin is broken

your body shuts down after a certain amount if trauma, and you can't take anymore.. being pushed past your natural pain threshold is not a good thing, and it could cause serious problems. therefore, masking the pain is a terrible idea IMO.

I agree with everything you say, but I find this bit interesting. I don't see a huge problem in pushing someone beyond their usual boundaries - within reason, obviously. I just think there are safer ways of doing it than using pharmaceuticals - which, as you rightly point out, are best kept in the hands of people who know what they're doing with them.

I think I'm getting a bit tedious on this one now, my apologies, but I also reckon that the pain of tattooing is an important part of the process.

I agree with everything you say, but I find this bit interesting. I don't see a huge problem in pushing someone beyond their usual boundaries - within reason, obviously. I just think there are safer ways of doing it than using pharmaceuticals - which, as you rightly point out, are best kept in the hands of people who know what they're doing with them.

I think I'm getting a bit tedious on this one now, my apologies, but I also reckon that the pain of tattooing is an important part of the process.

Let me clarify what I mean.. By "pushing someone past their pain threshold" I don't mean how much pain someone can take before they decide they dont want to be getting tattooed anymore.. that would be almost like their "mental pain tolerance".. what I mean is a body can only take so much trauma before it will begin to react, and shut down.. start shaking, get pale, light headed.. etc.. if this happens the person can go into shock which in itself can be life threatening.. these numbing creams, gels, or what have you limit the persons ability to judge this affect.. for instance.. lets say you use numbing cream and taqttoo someone for 5 hours.. they are seemingly doing fine because they can hardly feel it.. you finish.. they walk out the door, and get in their car and start driving home.. meanwhile the numbing wears off.. they get lightheaded and pass out driving.. all because they were disconnected form the pain and didn't realize how much trauma they had endured..

hypothetical scenario .. yes.. but not one I would ever feel comfortable contributing to..

very true i did a tiny little shooting star on the top of a womans foot... she was fine during the tattoo process... when i was finished she stood up then droped like a sack of rocks

I believe that a lot of these reactions are due largely to hyperventilation, rather than pain - respiratory rate increases, but the individual is 'shallow breathing', thus there is a build up of CO2 in the blood, because they aren't expiring properly (fair comments about trauma, but we're talking a tattoo here: by and large, people's bodies shut down in the manner that you are talking of when they experience acute trauma - massive fracture, head injury etc. With the exception of my Mother in Law, who Defies The Science).

I think that the use of simple relaxation and breathing techniques is good for avoiding this. I'd be interested to know, do you find that the ones who conk out like that are the ones who are trying just that bit to hard to resist looking like a wimp (male and female alike) and are in fact really tense?

yes...no... :)

Haaahaaa, I do pause for breath in real life. Sometimes.

i let a trusted artist use some sort of topical anesthetic on me before. it didn't help at all. the tattoo healed fine, and everything, i didn't notice any difference pain wise though. you'll be spending money on something that's completely unnecessary. i don't recall what he used, this has been years and years ago.

The only stuff with enough balls is Dr. Prescribed and then the skin has to be wrapped in plastic for 30 minutes with the ointment to become totally numb. A client got Dr. prescribed stuff that worked and she drove over with her arm wrapped and she was totally numb but as soon as it hits air you have 5-10 minutes before your arm comes a live. I think you can get it across the counter in europe it's called Emla I think. Thats where she first used it stationed in Germany.

Usually people numb out after a while but the ointment makes it hurt worse because the area is waking up and feeling pain. I think you can get it across the counter in europe it's called Emla I think.I used the tattoo stuff it is weak and expensive and comes in like small amounts not enough for a big area. I guess Stay hard works too I knew a peircer that used it instead of hurricane spray. It's more of a hassle and a waste of time. I tell people to man up or get henna.

That's correct Mark, its called Emla cream, and is manly used for children, so they couldn't feel the pain of the injection.

That's correct Mark, its called Emla cream, and is manly used for children, so they couldn't feel the pain of the injection.

that stuff works better then anything you can get in the states at least over the counter

Emla has to be on the skin(covered) for as long as two hours to be really effective....i had once a client coming in who had a bandage with that stuff on him...whitout me telling beforehand...i refused to work on him... ;) ..

nice wheels pusaka.. :D

that stuff works better then anything you can get in the states at least over the counter

I thought you could get Liposomal Lidocaine quite easily in the States, and that is reported to be more effective than EMLA (Eutectic Mixture of Local Anaesthetics, fact fans).